Thursday, January 26, 2012

Winter Storm 2012...

 What a way to bring in 2012! Winter arrived causing my work to be late start 2 days and closed 2 days. It all started with warnings all over the news. Businesses were closing early, people were staying off the roads, and loading up on generators, candles, and flashlights. Tuesday we were late start due to the cold and everything freezing. Wednesday came all the snow and our work was closed. I got to catch up on laundry, find an amazing cookie recipe, and watch several movies while Johnny worked. That night...our power went out. It came back on during the night which then Thursday came, my work was closed again, Johnny had to go in...and the power went out again...this time all day. Not only did it snow more that night, then came the freezing rain to weigh on all the snow. With that, I stayed inside listening to all the cracking and booming of all the surrounding trees come down praying they wouldn't come down on the house or the car. Sad to say, we had about a dozen trees come down, or half way down including five of my favorite by our drive way allowing shade for our parking and a diving landscape for the front lawn and back lawn. These 5 came down together from the root over our driveway causing me to be blocked on. Johnny came home early to help me chop those down and remove from our drive way. The power stayed out all day Thursday which Johnny went back into that work around 4pm to work more than a 24 hour shift. I got to stay home with my four legged kids cuddled under blankets! Friday the power came on just in time for me to be ready to go into work for our late start. The snow had stopped and warmed up a little now creating all those big chunks of ice from everything to fall. On the way to work it was dodging the trees down, or still coming down, ice chunks coming from trees and lines, and those crazy drivers who just did not know how to take their time driving in this weather. We measured the snow with pictures and came to about 9-10 inches! Yay, I know everyone from WI or PA will say.."hey that's nothing"..but for us..it's was a record.
 Johnny as a Lineman has been working SEVERAL shifts creating him to pull all nighters. BUT....he is  helping people get their power on. And that feeling I had when our power finally came back on, I sure am proud that he gets to bring that other feelings to other families.
 It's a week later and some snow is still left. Now...comes the clean-up. I decided to start with the pretty pictures, then this weekend comes the cleaning of the trees. I will add those pictures this weekend to this post. Johnny is still working overtime helping those families. He sure loves what he does. But, hopefully he will be able to come home and rest soon.
 As much as the snow looks beautiful, mother natural sure can make a mess. Things to invest for our family: generator and certainly a fireplace when we purchase a home! It was fun playing with Scout since the snow was so high she had to hop everywhere like a bunny. I would sit in the snow across the yard from Johnny and she would just run back and forth. After a while she got tired and went to the side of the yard where the snow was less under the trees to get to us. She sure is a smart little puppy!
 Mom, I know you admitted to not checking out our blogs:) But, here is the snow angel I made for you. This was the point when it was thick of ice on top of the snow...so it was pretty interesting to make. (i think i got a workout from it:)
Stay tuned for the aftermath...

1 comment:

  1. That snow angel is really nice. Reminds me of Hana. I am glad you all were smart enough to stay indoors during the blizzard of 2012. Poor Johnny had to be the working man and go out in it but I anderstand the working part of it.Good thing you have the pets to keep you warm and vice a versa. Memories is what it is all about and you all have lots of them after the storm

    ReplyDelete